WoW Wednesday: How to Change the Appearance of Battle Pets

I have never been one to really get into Pet Battling, but I have gone out of my way to collect a few Battle Pets. Sometime this week I was flying around fighting random Critters to kill some time while talking to a buddy of mine. As I spot my next victim I noticed my buddy flying down, and right before I click to Pet Battle this level 1 snake my buddy Polymorphs it and turns it into a pig. The battle starts and it says I’m fighting the level 1 snake, but it has the look of a pig. So the first thing that comes to mind is “What happens if you cage it?” After caging the little guy and summoning him back out he actually kept the appearance of the pig but was still labeled as the same level 1 snake with the same abilities, strengths, and weaknesses. Therefore, this WoW Wednesday I want to share what other appearances you can give your new Battle Pets, and some other neat tricks to go along with it.

 

Mage Sheep Appearances

Obviously, after my previous statement, using Polymorph on a Battle Pet before you duel it will change its appearance. Just simply cast any form of Polymorph you would like that Battle Pet to look like BEFORE you Pet Battle, bring the pet below 35% health and then use the cage ability to attempt to capture it. Below are all of the Polymorph spells and their appearances, though some are no longer obtainable.

Change the Look of a Battle Pet

  • Polymorph Sheep – This is the baseline ability that all mages have.
  • Polymorph Pig – You get this from the quest Fragmented Magic or The Amazing Zanzo.
  • Polymorph Turtle – From Tome of Polymorph: Turtle which can be obtained by fishing in Cataclysm pools.
  • Polymorph Black Cat – From Tome of Polymorph: Black Cat which is sold by Endora Moorehead in Northrend Dalaran.
  • Polymorph Monkey – From Tome of Polymorph: Monkey which drops from Hozen Ravager and Hozen Scavenger in The Jade Forest.
  • Polymorph Polar Bear Cub – From Tome of Polymorph: Polar Bear Cub which drops from Arctic Grizzly in Dragonblight.
  • Polymorph Porcupine – From Tome of Polymorph: Porcupine which drops from all Pandaria porcupines.
  • Polymorph Rabbit – From Tome of Polymorph: Rabbit which is sold by Noblegarden Vendor during the Noblegarden
  • Polymorph Penguin – From Tome of Polymorph: Penguin which is no longer obtainable.
  • Polymorph Serpent – From Tome of Polymorph: Serpent which is no longer obtainable.
  • Polymorph Turkey – From Tome of Polymorph: Turkey which is no longer obtainable.

All of these Polymorph spells will work to change the appearance of the Battle Pet of your choice.

 

Shaman Hex Appearances

Of course, after trying all of the Polymorph spells that my mage has, I had to see if a Shaman’s Hex would do the same. After a few failed attempts (mainly due to killing the pet I was trying to capture), and the few times I was ganked by a pesky Rogue, I was successful and Hex also changed the Battle Pet’s appearance. Here are the Hex spells and their appearances that you can obtain.

  • Hex Frog – This is the standard Hex that every Shaman starts off with.
  • Hex Cockroach Tome of Hex: Cockroach is sold by Cravitz Lorent, a rare spawn in the Dalaran Underbelly. He appears to spawn in both Broken Shore Dalaran and Northrend Dalaran.
  • Hex Spider Tome of Hex: Spider drops for Shaman only from the boss Nal’tira in The Arcway Mythic dungeon.
  • Hex Compy (Raptor) Tome of Hex: Compy is sold by Flamesmith Lanying in The Maelstrom which is the Shaman Order Hall.

Quick Note: The NPC Flamesmith Lanying that sells Tome of Hex: Compy also sells a few other neat toys that mimic old Shaman abilities that are no longer in game. There is also another Tome of Hex: Snake, but after much research, it seems that it is currently unobtainable at this time.

Flying Pets

Change the Look of a Battle Pet

After messing around with all of the different spells I wanted to see if after changing their appearance would they still act normal. If you transform a flying pet into a Penguin, would that turn it into a flying Penguin? So after looking up which pets fly with you while mounted, I headed off to Karazhan to turn an Arcane Eye into a flying Raptor. To my surprise, it actually worked!

 

Final Notes

Change the Look of a Battle Pet

I have attempted many different Polymorphs and Hex’s and they have all worked to change the Battle Pets appearance. The appearance will not go away if you take it into battle, and it will even stay if the pet dies and you revive it, which was a big shock to me. I thought for sure it would lose it’s appearance if the Battle Pet died. The only thing I wasn’t able to test was what would happen if you caged the pet and traded it. This is due to the fact that I don’t have a lot of high-level pets so I’m stuck battling the lower level ones that can’t be traded.

I don’t know how long this has been in the game, or if it’s going to get hotfixed, so go out there and have fun with it while you can. For some reason, I really enjoyed finding that this little bug existed. I spent hours getting flying pigs, raptors, and cats. I had players questioning what toys I was using to make my pets look a certain way, or how I had gotten a pet pig to fly around with me, which made this all that much better.

Let us know if this is new to you, or if I’m just late to the party with this information. If you decide to give this a try, let us know in the comments what sort of combinations you came up with and if the appearance stays if you cage it and trade with another player.

Related: , , ,

Related:

Comments